The Application Engineer is the primary technical resource for the sales personnel. Responsible for driving the technology stage of the sales process, advocating the best hardware fit and identifying reliable solutions for technical issues to assure customer satisfaction. Includes coordination, planning, installation, testing, documentation, training, and integration of Omron Delta Tau advanced motion control systems in an industrial environment, using knowledge of engineering and programming as well as sophisticated instruments and equipment.
* Provide support to sales force to identify and recommend best hardware fit and solutions.
* Integrate motion control solutions with ODT hardware products.
* Perform tests on proof of concepts for customers.
* Implement proposed solutions for tested proof of concepts.
* Provide support and solutions to outstanding issues for existing customer applications.
* Develop training material, and perform beginner, advanced, and specialist training.
* Develop and maintain product documentation manuals and technical application notes.
* Build, maintain, and integrate product demonstration equipment for exhibitions.
* Attend to exhibitions and follow up on key leads with sales team.
* Represent Omron Delta Tau in a professional, ethical, and socially responsible manner.
* Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
* Bachelor’s or Master’s in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering from a four year college or related technical school.
* 3+ years of engineering experience in the industrial motion control market.
* 3+ years of demonstrated application solutions experience with OEM or end user.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Knowledge of motion control theory, robotics, or mechatronics.
* Knowledge of automation products, including servo motors, drives, I/Os, and motion control systems or PLCs.
* Knowledge of industrial programming language(s).
* Strong understanding of electrical and mechanical engineering basics.
* Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
* Ability to use sophisticated instruments such as digital multi-meters, oscilloscopes, or laser interferometers etc.
* Knowledge of soldering, wiring, and mechanical assembly. Reading electrical and mechanical schematics and drawings.
* Advanced troubleshooting skills.
* Ability to multi-task and work cross-functionally with strong organizational skills.
* Strong relationship builder and a strong personal desire to win.
* Strong interpersonal, listening, questioning and communication skills (written and oral).
* Ability to travel as required.
These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the described essential functions.
While performing the responsibilities of the Application Engineer, the employee is often required to talk, hear at normal speaking levels, sit and use their hands and fingers to type, handle or feel, including repetitive motions with the wrists, hands and fingers. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with arms and hands, this is a sedentary position involving sitting most of the time. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision for extensive computer use, reading and visual inspections. Must be able to lift up to 40 lbs.
While performing the responsibilities of this job, these work environment characteristics are representative of the environment the employee will encounter. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
While performing the duties of an Application Engineer, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate. The position is subject to hazards such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, electrical high voltage and current, electrical cabinets and exposure to chemicals and oils. The position is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. But, this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.