Follett is one of the leading distributors of books, video and music products to libraries, institutions and retailers. We have been in business for over 180 years and have developed long-term relationships with major book and music labels. We have more than 36,000 customers in more than 120 countries. We ship more than 1 million unique products (SKUs) annually. We also maintain one of the largest in-stock inventories of books, videos and music in the U.S.
This is a temporary position for 3 months.
The Accounting Controller Special Projects role assesses and understands current projects assigned, identifies control gaps or weaknesses and reengineers processes accordingly. Controller will ensure processes result in financial statements reported in accordance with GAAP and transaction (operational accounting) improvements. Controller will serve as a mentor to staff assigned to projects, including working through details and troubleshooting with staff, and ensuring staff have a working knowledge of the end-process. Controller will need to possess strong critical thinking, time management and communications skills to effectively leverage people and systems to reengineer processes. Experience with contract review and large data sets required.
- Mentor 2-4 accountants, from associate to senior level, by working alongside accountants through questions and problems, and troubleshooting solutions
- Coach and develop team members through effective application of the principles and values of the Company’s business model.
- Develop an understanding of the Commissions amendments review process as it relates to changes in the calculated commissions paid to customers; identify control gaps and streamline the process for efficient, low-risk execution.
- Develop an understanding of the Commissions closed store invoice process as it relates to accuracy and timeliness of sending final commissions statements; identify control gaps and streamline the process for efficient, low-risk execution.
- Develop a process to report gift card breakage in accordance with GAAP.
- Document processes developed and ensure staff have a working knowledge.
- Ensure accounting procedures are modified or implemented to properly account and report for the new or changed business activity.
- Ensure that active dialogue exists with Operations management to ensure that the Finance organization is providing them with timely and accurate data needed to operate the business.
- Designs, documents and implements new financial controls, policies and procedures within areas of responsibility in response to changing regulations and/or business practices.
- Participates as subject matter expert, and oversees activities of associates doing the same, in the design and implementation of key business operations initiatives. Such participation must ensure that appropriate financial processes/procedures and effective internal controls are implemented as integral components of the initiative.
- Communicate regularly with FHEG Accounting leadership as to progress made towards process improvements and identifies decision points and/or decisions made with ample opportunity for leadership’s input and direction.
Edit jobStatus: OpenView public job page
All candidate information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.