Sargent Aerospace & Defense
Purpose and Scope:
This position supports operational excellence in the machining processes to drive productivity, quality and continuous improvement. We expect this individual to be a leader who collaborates with the Sargent team to exceed organizational goals.
Roles and Responsibilities:
* Knowledgeable of safety standards for equipment and demonstrate safe behaviors at all times
* Maintains a clean and safe work area at all times
* Complete required equipment maintenance checks
* Knowledgeable of and adheres to company quality standards
* Performs operations per specifications on drawing/print and documented procedures
* Must work well with others in a team environment
* Monitor operations and quickly troubleshoot non-conformances as they occur
* Produce and inspect parts at rate
* Deburr parts using machines such as milling, drilling, grinding and other machines as needed.
* Perform SPC
* Perform and record first piece inspection and fill out in-process inspection sheets
* Assist others with machining problems.
* Provide continuous improvement ideas/solutions. Participates in evaluation and implementation of improvement if appropriate.
* Train others as directed
* Provide direction and assist others with machining practices and issues
* Set up proven and unproven jobs on CNC equipment, make approved adjustments, edit programs, set tooling requirements to turnover jobs to level I & II machinists if required
Required Job Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
* Minimum of 5 years machining experience
* Experience running CNC Lathe and CNC Mill
* High School diploma or GED required
* Must be able to read and write English
* Application of machine shop theory and procedures, shop mathematics
* Experience in reading, interpreting technical drawings, routers, work instructions and specifications.
* Able to create plan on how to machine based on information.
* Advanced measurement skills for inspection, including GD&T, use of CMM, and optical comparator
* Knowledge of cutting tool capabilities (speeds/feeds, types, insert grades, etc based on material and size)
* Must be proficient in G & M codes, creating and editing CNC programs on lathes and mills, and setting up complex parts
* Strong communication, critical thinking, and multi-tasking abilities
* Train Level I and II machinists as directed
* Monitor operations and quickly react and troubleshoot non-conforming operations as they occur
* While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to bend, squat, sit, stand, walk, and handle objects. The employee is occasionally required to push/pull, and reach above shoulder level. The employee must be able to carry/lift up to 40 pounds and be able to rotate item being handled
* Work on feet for entire shift
* Manual dexterity and the ability to carry out complex, repetitive tasks quickly and methodically
* Proficient in MS Office (Excel and Word)
* Working knowledge of CNC machine code and ability to change off sets
* Must be able to set up proven jobs in established time
* Must hold a Sargent Designated Quality Inspection (DQI) authority or have the prerequisite skills (drawing comprehension, geometric dimensioning and tolerancing, and inspection methodology) to become qualified within 6 months of hire.
* Experience designing and creating tooling based on part geometry
* Experience with spherical surfaces and threads and able to make machine adjustments to ensure parts meet specification
* Some conventional machining experience
* Must be a U.S. Citizen
* Attendance and punctuality at work are essential functions of this position.
Preferred Job Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
* College Course work preferred
* Master Cam preferred
* Preferred ability to set up and operate conventional, special purpose, and numerical control (NC) machines and machining centers to fabricate metallic and nonmetallic parts
* Experience machining titanium and thin walled aluminum parts